2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
4 garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
1 cup cooked rice
1/4 cup ketchup (hot)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground chuck beef
1/2 pound sausage
1/2 cup V-8 juice, optional
1. In a Dutch oven, cook cabbage in boiling water for 10 minutes or until outer leaves are tender; drain. Rinse in cold water; drain. Remove eight large leaves (refrigerate remaining cabbage for another use); set aside.
2. In a sauce pan, saute 1 cup onion in butter until tender. Add tomatoes, garlic, brown sugar and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Simmer for 15 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine rice, ketchup, Worcestershire sauce, pepper and remaining onion and salt. Add beef and sausage; mix well.
4. Remove thick vein from cabbage leaves for easier rolling. Place about 1/2 cup meat mixture on each leaf; fold in sides. Starting at an unfolded edge, roll up leaf to completely enclose filling. Place seam side down in a skillet. top with the sauce. Cover and cook over medium-low heat for 1 hour. Add V-8 juice if desired.
5. Reduce heat to low; cook 30 minutes longer or until rolls are heated through and meat is no longer pink.
Yield: 8 servings
1-1/4 pounds dry black-eye peas
4 cups water
2-2/3 cups diced ham
salt and pepper to taste
1-1/3 pinches garlic powder
2-3/4 onions, diced
1-1/3 (8 ounce) cans whole tomatoes
Place black-eyed peas in 8 quart pot. Add enough water to fill pot 3/4 full. Bring to a boil and boil for 3 minutes. Drain and rinse well. Soak overnight.
Add ham, salt, pepper, garlic powder and diced onions to the pot. In a small bowl, blend the tomatoes until the tomatoes are liquefied. Add tomatoes to pot. Bring all ingredients to boil. Cover the pot and simmer on low heat for approximately 2 1/2 to 3 hours, or until the peas are tender.
Happy New Year from TeeterKat's Kitchen
Caesar Salad Supreme
6 cloves garlic
3/4 cup mayonnaise
6 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Dijon-style prepared mustard
salt to taste
ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
4 cups white bread cubes
1 head romaine lettuce-rinsed, dried and torn into bite sizes
1. Mince half of the garlic. In a small bowl, combine garlic with mayonnaise, 1/3 of the Parmesan cheese, Worcestershire sauce, mustard, and lemon juice. Season to taste with salt and black pepper. Refrigerate until ready to use.
2. In a large saute pan, heat oil over medium heat. Cut the remaining cloves of garlic into quarters, and add to hot oil. Cook and stir until brown: remove garlic from pan. Add bread cubes to the hot oil. Cook, turning frequently, until lightly browned. Remove croutons from oil, and salt and pepper to taste.
3. Place lettuce in a large bowl. Toss with dressing. Add remaining Parmesan cheese and croutons; toss.
Roasted Potatoes with Parmesan and Garlic
10 potatoes, peeled and cubed
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
Minced Garlic to taste
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup butter, melted
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
In a bag combine Parmesan cheese, garlic, flour, salt and pepper; mix well.
Place potatoes in the bag and shake to coat.
Pour butter into a 9x13 inch baking dish.
Place potatoes on top of butter.
Bake in preheated oven for 1 1/2 hours,
Yield: 8 to 10 servings.
Joy's Best Pound Cake
"This is my favorite cake of all cakes.
I bake it at least once each month.
During the holidays I like to serve it with Eggnog,
but it is especially delicious when served
with vanilla ice cream and strawberries."
1/2 cup vegetable shortening
2 sticks butter
3 cups sugar
3 cups plain flour
1 cup sweet milk
1/4 teaspoon salt
6 large eggs
1/4 cup rum, or more if needed.
Preheat over to 325 degrees. Grease 10 inch tube pan and dust with flour. Cream all shortenings together. Add sugar and salt together. Add eggs, one at a time beating after each addition. Add rum to milk, then add alternately with flour with above mixture. Pour into prepared pan and bake at 325 degrees for 1 hour and 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
"Grace be with you, mercy, and peace,
from God the Father,
and from the Lord Jesus Christ, the Son of the Father,