1 C. raisins ( soaked In water to plump ) and drain
1/2 C. powered sugar
Combine carrots, Pineapple, mayonnaise , raisins, and sugar; mix well. Chill till ready to serve.
Makes 8 servings
Almond Orange Chicken
Yield: 6 servings
1 12-inch electric skillet
Melt 2 Tbs. butter and 2 Tbs. Olive Oil
1/2 cup plus 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour, divided
3/4 cup ground almonds
12 boneless skinless chicken tenders
Or 6 boneless skinless chicken breast
2 Tbs. butter
1/3 cup chopped onion
1/4 tsp. poultry seasoning
1-1/2 cups milk
1/3 cup orange marmalade
1/4 cup orange juice
1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
1 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. pepper
Hot cooked rice, or mashed potatoes, both optional.
Place 1/2 cup flour in a shallow bowl. In another bowl, lightly beat the eggs. Place the almonds in a third bowl. Coat chicken with flour, then dip in eggs and roll in almonds.
In the electric skillet on medium-high heat, cook the chicken on both sides until juices run clear and both sides are golden brown, about 15 minutes on both sides. Make sure chicken is done and tender, and will flake apart with a fork. Remove and set aside, but keep warm.
In the same skillet, sauté the onion in remaining butter until tender. Stir in poultry seasoning and remaining flour until blended. Gradually stir in milk until smooth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes. Remove from the heat; stir in the orange marmalade, orange juice and peel, salt and pepper. Pour over the chicken. Serve with rice or mashed potatoes if desired.
Pork Loin Roast
1 - 4 pound boneless pork loin roast
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon pepper
1/2 teaspoon sage
1/2 teaspoon marjoram
1/2 freshly ground black pepper
1 teaspoon dried rosemary
Combine all dry ingredients; rub all over roast.
Melt 2 tablespoon butter and 2 tablespoons olive oil
in a large roasting pan and brown well on all sides.
Remove roast from pan and drain fat;
then return--fat side up--to roasting pan.
Combine: 1 cup apple juice, 1/8 cup soy sauce, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 2/3 cup pure maple syrup, 3 Tbs. brown sugar. Pour in baking dish around roast.
Place 1 med. quartered onion and 1/2 quarter granny smith apple around roast. Bake uncovered at 450 degrees F until comes to a boil. Reduce heat to 250 degrees F and bake until tender, and can be flaked with a fork,
but not falling apart. (3 to 4 hours.)
Remove pork roast from baking pan. Strain juices.
Combine: 2 teaspoons cornstarch & 2 tablespoons water
Add to above juices. Simmer until thickened. Serve over sliced pork loin.
Sprinkle with fresh parsley sprigs.
Deep Dish Banana Pudding
with Chocolate Sauce
1 (12-ounce) package vanilla wafers
1 cup packed light brown sugar plus 2 tablespoons
1/4 cup all-purpose flour plus 2 tablespoons
3 cups whole milk
3 large eggs
3 tablespoons unsalted butter
3/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon banana extract
1 cup heavy cream
2 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
4 teaspoons dark rum
3 ripe bananas, sliced crosswise
Chocolate Sauce, recipe follows
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Line the bottom and sides of a 9 by 9-inch square baking dish with the vanilla wafers. Set aside.
In a medium saucepan, combine the sugar and flour. Add the milk, whisk, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer, whisking constantly, until thick,about 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat.
In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs. Gradually whisk about 3/4 cup of the hot milk into the egg. Return the egg mixture to the saucepan with the hot milk and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, whisking constantly, until smooth and thick, about 2 minutes.
Remove from the heat and add the butter, vanilla, and banana extract. Whisk until the butter is melted and the mixture is smooth. Transfer to a clean bowl and cool to room temperature. In a bowl, whip the cream until soft peaks begin to form. Add the sugar and whip until stiff peaks start to form. Add the rum and whip to incorporate. Set aside.
Pour half of the pudding over the vanilla wafers, top with the bananas. Add the remaining pudding, smoothing it over the sliced bananas. Top with the whipped cream, and smooth with the back of a spoon.
Drizzle chocolate sauce over the cream and top with walnuts. Cover tightly and chill at least 2 hours before serving.
1 cup heavy cream
8 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
In a small, heavy saucepan, bring the cream to a bare simmer over low heat. Place the chocolate pieces in a medium bowl. Whisk the cream slowly into the chocolate. Add the vanilla and continue whisking until the chocolate melts and the sauce thickens. Let the sauce cool to room temperature before pouring over the Banana Pudding.
Yield: 1 1/2 cups
Honey Glazed Baked Ham
1/2 Tavern Ham, Shank Half
Honey or Pure Maple Syrup
(Although it is pre-cooked, I bake my ham for at least
2 hour on 350 degrees, depending on its size.)
Spread honey or syrup all on the outside of the ham. Cook it the early morning of your serving day; cool. With a large spoon, pour the juices all over top and sides of the ham.
Combine in a small bowl:
1 cup light brown sugar
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon ground clove
1/8 teaspoon paprika
dash ground ginger
dash ground allspice
On a large piece of parchment paper, roll the ham on all sides and top. Spread around evenly, then coat with hand the left over mixture. Coat the HAM well and thickly. Do not coat the flat end of the HAM.
Turn the HAM onto its flat end on a heavy serving platter. With a medium-size flame, use a blowtorch to caramelize the sugar. Wave the torch over the sugar with rapid movement, so that the sugar bubbles and browns, but does not burn. Spin the platter so that you can torch the entire surface of the HAM. Repeat the coating and caramelizing process until the HAM has been well-glazed.
Note: To get the coating just right,you must use a blowtorch.
Serve the ham cold or reheated.
This page was last updated on: August 29, 2011
from TeeterKat's Kitchen
from TeeterKat's Kitchen
". . . Fear not; I am the first and the last:
I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold,
I am alive for evermore, Amen; . ."
Joy’s Mixed Greens Salad
¼ cup red wine vinegar
½ cup olive oil
3 tablespoons honey
Over low heat bring to a boil; remove from heat.
Set aside. Cool.
In a bowl mix together:
1/2 teaspoon dry hot mustard
½ teaspoon celery salt
½ teaspoon ground paprika
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
Coarsely ground black pepper to taste
Add to vinegar mixture. Shake vigorously. Pour into a salad oil container. Set aside.
Heat 2 tablespoons sugar with 1 cup almonds in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook and stir while sugar starts to melt and coat almonds. Stir constantly until almonds are light brown. Turn onto a plate and cool for 10 minutes.
Wash 1 head romaine lettuce, rinse, dry and chop.
Wash equal amount fresh baby spinach, rinse and dry.
In a large mixing bowl combine lettuce with spinach.
Drain well 2 (11 ounce) cans mandarin oranges, and add to greens. Add 6 green onions, thinly chopped.
In a medium skillet over medium-high heat, cook 1/2 pound bacon until evenly brown. Drain, cool and crumble. Set aside.
When ready to serve, toss lettuce mixture and browned almonds, mixing well, then top with crumbled bacon bits.
8 hard boiled eggs
1/2 (3 oz.) package cream cheese, softened
2 tablespoons mayonnaise
2 teaspoons sweet pickle relish
1 teaspoon white vinegar
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
1 teaspoon sugar
Dash of garlic salt
Dash of curry powder
Slice eggs in half lengthwise and carefully remove yolks.
Mash yolks with a fork.
Add cream cheese, stirring until smooth.
Stir in mayonnaise and next 7 ingredients.
Spoon yolk mixture into egg whites.
Cover and chill.
Sprinkle with paprika just before serving.
Blue Cheese Potatoes Delmonico
The classic potato casserole takes on new dimensions by adding blue cheese.
8 medium Potatoes
1/2 cup Butter
1/2 cup Flour
1 cup Milk
1 cup Cream
1/2 cup Blue cheese crumbles
1/3 cup Breadcrumbs
Pre-heat the oven to 375.
Boil the potatoes. Allow to cool slightly and dice. Place in a casserole dish.
Melt the butter in a saucepan. Whisk in the flour and cook for 5 minutes, stirring frequently. Whisk in the milk and cream. Reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Whisk in the cheese until blended. Pour over the potatoes. Top with the breadcrumbs and bake for 25 minutes. Serves 4
Cream Green Peas
4 cups frozen green peas
1-1/3 cups water
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup and 2 tablespoons butter
2/3 cup Cream Cheese
2 tablespoons white sugar
In a medium saucepan, combine peas, water, and salt. Bring to a boil, then stir in butter.
In a small bowl, whisk together cream cheese and sugar. Stir mixture into peas.
Cook over medium-high heat until mixed thoroughly and is bubbly, about 5 minutes.
Mandarin Orange Cheesecake
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
pinch of salt
2 tablespoons butter, softened
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cream Cheese Layer
1 envelope unflavored gelatin
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1 cup boiling water
1 envelope Dream Whip
1/2 cup low-fat milk
3 8-ounce pkgs. cream cheese, softened
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon orange extract
1/4 teaspoon lemon juice
5 drops yellow food coloring
1 drop red food coloring
2 15-ounce cans mandarin oranges (in light syrup)
1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin
1 tablespoon water
2 tablespoons granulated sugar
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts (2.25-ounce bag)
1/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon milk
1/8 teaspoon vanilla
1. To make cake layer, combine flour, baking powder and salt in a small bowl. Cream together butter and sugar with an electric mixer in a medium bowl. Add dry ingredients to the butter and mix well. Mix in milk, vanilla and 1 egg. Pour into a well-greased 9-inch springform pan (or line it with parchment paper). Slam pan down on the counter a few times to even out the batter. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 15 minutes or until the cake is light brown on top.
2. For the cream cheese layer, combine gelatin with 3/4 cup sugar in a medium bowl. Add boiling water and stir until gelatin is dissolved. Set this aside.
3. Prepare Dream Whip by whipping together 1 envelope of Dream Whip and 1/2 cup milk with an electric mixer in another medium bowl. Whip it good until the topping makes stiff peaks.
4. In another bowl, whip the cream cheese with vanilla, orange extract, lemon juice and food coloring in a large bowl until smooth. Slowly add the gelatin mixture while beating.
5. Add half (about 1 cup) of the Dream Whip to the cream cheese mixture and beat until smooth.
6. Pour this mixture over the cake layer in the springform pan. Chill for 2 hours or until firm.
7. Pour all liquid except 1/2 cup from the cans of mandarin oranges wedges. Heat the 1/2 cup liquid in the microwave on high for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes or until hot. Dissolve 1 teaspoon unflavored gelatin in the liquid. Combine liquid with orange wedges and pour over the top of the firmed-up cheesecake that's still in the springform pan. Chill the cake for at least 2 more hours.
8. For the crunchy nut crust, combine 1 tablespoon water with 2 tablespoons sugar in a small saucepan over medium heat. When sugar is dissolved and liquid begins to boil, add the hazelnuts and stir until nuts are well-coated. Stir often until the water has cooked off, then continue to stir until the sugar begins to caramelize and turn light brown . Be careful not to burn the nuts. The nuts are done when they are light brown and glazed with candied sugar. Pour the nuts onto a plate and let them cool completely. When the candied nuts are cool, chop them up in a food processor until they are the consistency of crumbs.
9. Make the icing by combining shortening with powdered sugar, milk and vanilla.
10. When mandarin orange gelatin has firmed up on top of the cake, remove the cake from the springform pan. Use a spatula to spread the icing around the edge of the cake. Press the hazelnut crumbs onto the icing around the edge of the cake (you've got more than enough hazelnut crumbs and much of it will fall off as you press it on the sides). Chill the cake for at least another hour before serving. To serve, cut cake into 8 slices.